Does Your Home Insurance Include Additional Living Expenses?

You may need additional living expenses coverage in your home insurance policy.

If a natural disaster were to destroy your home structure, you may be forced to move out of your home until it’s repaired. When you cannot live in your home because of a loss covered by your home insurance policy, such as a hurricane or tornado, your insurer is able to reimburse you for certain expenses that you occur while you’re living away from home. This is called additional living expenses coverage.

What does this coverage include?
The additional living expenses coverage in your home insurance is designed to cover the costs associated with loss of use of your home, including those of a hotel room, restaurant meals, and transportation.

How am I reimbursed?
You must file a claim with your home insurance company as soon as possible. Generally, this coverage will pay for the gap between pre- and post- disaster housing and food. For example, if you usually spend $500 a month for food, but you now spend $750 because you have lost use of your kitchen and must eat out, your insurer will may pay for the $250 difference.

What is not included?
Items that are not considered additional living expenses are belongings such as toiletries, clothing, temporary repairs to your home, entertainment expenses (unfortunately, going to the movies because you’ve lost use of your TV doesn’t count!), and your normal mortgage bills.

Can I obtain coverage if my home was damaged by a flood?
The damages caused by floods are not covered at all in home insurance policies, and most separate flood insurance policies do not provide additional living expenses coverage. Talk to a trusted insurance agent for advice on obtaining coverage.

So that your additional living expenses are covered by your California home insurance in the event of a disaster, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency.

Halloween Horrors Covered by Your Homeowners Insurance

Your homeowners insurance will protect you from Halloween home mishaps.

Halloween is one of the best nights of the year for children! Unfortunately, this playful, mischievous manner could turn into mayhem when a trick-or-treater trips or your jack-o’-lantern is knocked over.

Fortunately, you can cackle your way through this night as most homeowners insurance policies cover these nightmare situations!

  • Tricksters damage your home: Standard homeowners policies cover vandalism when repair costs exceed your deductible.
  • Candles cause a fire: Fires caused by a jack-o’-lantern candle or a string of ghost lights will be covered. If you are unable to live in your home because of damages, your homeowners insurance will also pay for your additional living expenses.
  • Trick-or-treating trauma: Injuries caused to children or their parents are covered by the homeowner liability portion of your policy.
  • Car crash: If you crash your car by to avoid hitting a trick-or-treater (it happens more than you think!), the accident would be covered by the collision portion of your auto insurance. If anyone is hurt, your liability protection will take care of that.

Luckily, with proper insurance, you will have coverage throughout all Halloween misfortunes! That being said, you can reduce the likelihood of an accident by ensuring all paths to the house are clear, double-checking that there is sufficient lighting, and not lighting any open flames.

Visit Stromsoe Insurance Agency to put the necessary insurance in California in place before Halloween night. We promise no tricks in our insurance policies!