Earthquakes are the release of energy as tectonic plates shift, causing waves through the earth’s crust and resulting in the shaking that we feel. While technology has gotten more advanced, there is not exact way to predict when an Earthquake will hit and how strong it will be. They can happen at anytime, so to protect ourselves and our loved ones, we prepare. Here is how you can prepare your home, your family and your community in case of a quake.
Prepare Your Home
- Do not hang heavy items, such as pictures and mirrors, near beds, couches and anywhere people sleep or sit
- Anchor top-heavy, tall and freestanding furniture such as bookcases or china cabinets to wall studs to keep these from toppling over
- Check your fire extinguisher and replace it when it is nearing it’s expiration date
- Call your insurance agent and cover your home with Earthquake Insurance, this is excluded from your Homeowners Insurance, but can be added easily
- Know how to turn off your gas, water and electricity and keep tools nearby to do so
- Keep a flashlight, slippers and gloves next to beds
Prepare Your Family
- Make an Emergency Kit for you home and car
- Practice drop, cover and hold on with your family members
- Practice an Evacuation Plan
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- In case of an evacuation, have a plan for your family pets
- Make a Pet Emergency Kit
- Check with your workplace and your children’s schools and day care centers to learn about their earthquake emergency plans
- Pick safe places in each room of your home, workplace and/or school (this could be under a piece of furniture or against an interior wall away from windows)
Prepare Your Community
- Keep a sheet of local shelters and emergency locations and phone numbers you can share with your neighbors in an emergency
- Get to know your neighbors and gather contact information to stay in communication during or after a natural disaster
- Get certified in First Aid and CPR so you can help others in your community should they need it
Questions? Want to learn more? Here’s 4 easy ways to reach us:
PS Here’s a few words from one client that trust Stromsoe Insurance Agency:
“I have been dealing with Erica Gates for almost 8 years now. She has helped me with my house insurance, car insurance adding my wedding ring to my home owners insurance and now with my earthquake insurance. Erica does what she says she’s going to do, whether it’s check on something for you or return your phone calls. She has been OUTSTANDING since day one. You just don’t find people like Erica everyday. Her customer service has been above and beyond. A real keeper. Thanks Erica for all that you do.” Norma Gold – Winchester, CA 92596 – client since 2010
PPS Every policy is backed by our iron clad, 100% complete satisfaction guarantee. Ask for your copy today!
Comments are closed.