Car accidents can be stressful, so it’s best to brush up on post-collision protocol now while you’re sane and level-headed.
Car accidents can leave us stressed and dizzy. It’s because they are unexpected–and the fact that a two-ton piece of metal just smashed into you–is what leaves us stressed out. The stress of the accident may not allow you to look up “what to do after a car accident”, so it’s best to do it now while you’re sane and level-headed. Here is the post-car accident protocol you should follow after a traffic collision.
1. Pull Over – If your cars are able to move, get to the side of the road–out of the way of traffic. This is important for two reasons: 1) You’re out of the way from oncoming traffic; 2) The thousands of people behind you shouldn’t have to sit in traffic because of your mistake. If your cars can’t move, then activate your hazard lights to alert the other drivers your cars aren’t going anywhere.
2. Check on the Other Drivers – Make sure that everyone is okay and call 911 if anyone has been injured. Even a small bump on the head can be fatal.
3. Gather Necessary Information – All of these things will make the claims process much, much smoother.
- Names of all drivers and passengers
- Insurance info
- License plate numbers
- Makes and models of all cars involved
- Contact information of eyewitnesses
- Geographical location of the accident
- The name and badge number of any responding police officers
- Photograph the accident with your phone
4. Call Your Insurance Agent – After the accident and having made sure that everyone is okay, be sure to call your insurance agent and file a claim. A good insurance agent will walk you step-by-step through the whole thing.
Knowing the right protocol is useless if you don’t have the policy to take care of you. For all of your auto insurance needs in California, be sure to contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. We are more than happy to help you get the coverage you deserve!