The California homeowners guide to getting their home ready for the coming cold.
Can you believe September’s almost already over? If the end of this month snuck up on you the way it did us, you might find yourself scrambling to get your house ready for the coming colder seasons.
We can help! To make maintaining and preparing your home for winter easy this fall, use these handy tips.
- Clear Your Water Heater: What’s better than a hot shower after being out in the cold air? To make sure you can enjoy that feeling this winter, drain your water heater and clear out any debris that’s collected.
- Seal It Up: Check your doors and windows for any cracks that will let hot air out, increasing your heating bill and your home’s chill. When you find them, seal them up.
- Clean Your Gutters: With the winter comes an increase in precipitation. Make sure your home can handle it by cleaning out your gutters and drainpipes. Double-check that all of your downspouts are still pouring down a grade away from your foundation.
- Get Your Chimney Inspected: Don’t try to clean your chimney yourself; have a professional come out and handle the job for you. While you have him or her there, make sure the damper gets checked so you can seal out cold winter drafts.
Another crucial aspect of preparing your home for the coming season is reviewing your homeowners insurance coverage. Do you have the right policy to protect your home? To make sure you do, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. Our committed California team can help you get the right coverage to fully safeguard your home this fall and throughout the rest of the year.
Senior drivers, you can save on your car insurance with these discounts!
Your parents might not have told you, but they paid a pretty penny for your car insurance when you were a teen. Because teen drivers are inexperienced, they’re riskier for insurers to cover. They pass that risk along to parents in the form of higher premiums.
It makes sense, then, that as you gain experience behind the wheel you would pay less for your coverage. We want to help you save as much as possible for all of your years on the road, so we’ve collected some of the best car insurance discounts for a senior driver.
- Mature Driver: Ask your insurer at which age they shave a specific percentage off your premiums. Most providers have a certain age in mind, and once you hit it you automatically qualify for this discount.
- Driving Course: If you take a safe driving course offered to senior drivers (the AARP offers them all over the country), you can shave down your premiums.
- Low Mileage: If you’re not driving as much as you used to, you might be able to save. Some insurers will offer a significant discount if you drive fewer than a certain number of miles each month.
- Membership: Are you a member of the AARP or another senior organization? If so, tell your insurance provider. Most of them offer certain discounts to people with these types of group memberships.
Want to save more on your California coverage? To talk to a car insurance agency that will work hard to dig out all of the discounts for which you apply, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. We know that every senior driver deserves to save big, and are here to help you do just that!
How to get your teen drivers the car insurance they need.
In theory, your teen becoming a licensed driver takes a lot off your plate. You don’t have to drive to school in the mornings, you’re not responsible for shuttling your teen and his or her friends to after-school activities, and you free yourself from playing weekend chauffeur.
Unfortunately, though, when your teen starts being able to drive you do have or thing or two you need to worry about. For starters, you need to focus on making sure your family’s newest driver is safe behind the wheel.
Secondly, you need to consider your insurance coverage. That’s right, even if your teen doesn’t have his or her own car you still need to insure him or her. In the state of California, all drivers on the road are required to have liability insurance. That means that if you let your teen drive without having coverage for him or her, you’re letting your teen break the law.
Fortunately, insuring your new driver is easy! Just give your insurance agent a call, and he or she will be able to add your teen as an operator on your family’s existing coverage.
Let us forewarn you: when you add a teen, your rates will go up because teen drivers are statistically some of the riskiest people on the road. The good news is you can combat this by limiting how much your teen drives, getting a good student discount if he or she gets As and Bs, and waiting to buy him or her a car.
If you have questions about the California car insurance your growing number of drivers requires, don’t wait to contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. We know that you already have enough to worry about with your new teen driver, and are here to making getting him or her covered easy! Protect your family, your vehicles, and your liability by calling us today.
Make school nights easier with this recipe for watermelon salad with feta and mint.
It’s crazy but true: the summer is already over. If you’re getting ready to send the kids back to school—or perhaps you already have—you’re probably running a little ragged. Transitioning out of the summer and into the more rigorous schedule of the school year is always a little hectic.
We want to help make it easier for you, though! Make school nights a little less busy by whipping up this delicious and healthy back to school recipe for watermelon salad with feta and mint. All you need is a few minutes, one serving bowl, and six ingredients!
- ½ cup of lime juice (you should need between 4 and 6 limes)
- ½ cup of chopped red onion
- 8 cups of chopped, seeded watermelon (you should need about ¼ to ½ of a watermelon)
- ½ cup of crumbled feta
- ¼ cup of thinly sliced fresh mint
- ½ cup of chopped fresh parsley
Toss the lime juice and onions together in a large serving bowl; let sit in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
Pull the onion/lime mixture out and add in the rest of the ingredients. Toss together and serve immediately! Easy peasy lime squeezy!
We hope this quick, easy, and healthy recipe makes school nights a little easier! If you want to get another thing taken off your plate to lighten your load during this busy time of year, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. We’re committed to helping California families get the insurance coverage they need, and can set you up with the most protection with the least amount of work and expense on your end. Call us today!