Good Luck and Prosperity for the New Year
We all have our traditions for each holiday out of the year, but who takes the time to think about traditions those on the other side of the world partake in? In America, we kiss and toast our champagne at the stroke of midnight to ring in the New Year, but what other New Year’s Traditions are there? Our interest was undoubtedly stirred, which is why we have gathered a few interesting traditions that are celebrated by our not-so-close neighbors:
- Spain – The Spaniards ring in the New Year by munching on twelve grapes with each of the twelve chimes as the clock hits midnight. This New Year’s Tradition began in 1895 when vine farmers were looking to bring in more customers to get rid of their surplus grapes.
- Belgium – The Belgians take a different approach, with each child writing their parents a letter to ring in the New Year.
- Greece – To symbolize rebirth in the New Year, Greeks will hang an onion, also known as a kremmida on their doors on New Year’s Eve. On New Year’s Day, they wake their children by tapping the kremmida on their heads. Before entering their homes on New Year’s Day, they will break a pomegranate on the doorstep, symbolizing good luck and prosperity.
- Denmark – After dinner, people in Denmark indulge on a special treat known as Kransekage, which is a giant cone-shaped cake. On January 1st, they throw dishes at their friends’ doorsteps.
- Macedonia – In Macedonia, they celebrate New Year’s Eve twice. The first celebration takes place on December 31st and the second takes place on January 14th.
Happy New Year from our team to your family! We encourage you to celebrate New Year’s Eve safely and responsibly! Contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency for all of your California insurance needs.
Scheduled Personal Property Coverage
As you enjoy looking lavish in your new expensive gifts and your children continue running around the house playing with their new holiday gifts, it becomes increasingly more important that you add insuring your holiday gifts to your to-do-list. Many individuals fail to realize the importance of this task, assuming they have coverage through their homeowners insurance policy.
In reality, your homeowners insurance policy comes with a limited amount of coverage for your personal belongings, therefore, you may find out that you are lacking coverage when you are in need of it most. Imagine the terror of purchasing a brand new gaming console for your children only to have it ransacked by a criminal who noticed the Xbox packaging in your dumpster. Not only would you be short the money spent on the console, but you would also have to file a homeowners insurance claim.
Scheduled personal property coverage provides homeowners with a logical solution to insuring valuables. Each scheduled item under this form of coverage will be appraised by a professional, so that your insurance provider can reimburse you for any losses at replacement cost value. This means that the depreciation of the item will not be calculated when it comes time to reimburse you for a loss.
Items worth scheduling include but are not limited to fire arms, family heirlooms, jewelry, collectibles, electronics, and fine art. Through this form of coverage, items are replaced to you whenever they are damaged, stolen, or simply misplaced.
If you are ready to start insuring your valuables for what they are worth, please do not hesitate to give us a call. Contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency for all of your California homeowners insurance needs. We can add scheduled personal property coverage to your policy so that insuring valuables becomes a simple task.
Add This One To The Family Holiday Recipe Book!
In the midst of the holiday season, you may be thinking about which holiday recipes to fix up to impress your family, friends, and neighbors. If you have come second best in the family’s best recipe contest year after year, mix up this delicious homemade eggnog recipe to not only win first prize but to have them begging for more:
What you will need:
- 3 Eggs (Lightly Beaten)
- 1/3 Cup of White Sugar
- 2 ½ Cups of Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 2 Tablespoons of Confectioners’ Sugar
- ½ Teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup of Rum (Optional)
- 2 Drops of Yellow Food Coloring
- 1 Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
How to prepare:
- Combine the eggs, salt, and sugar in a saucepan and gradually add and stir in milk. You will need to stir this mixture consistently for about 10 to 15 minutes over medium heat. You will know it is ready for the next step with the mixture can coat a metal spoon.
- Remove the concoction from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Next, place the saucepan over ice water until the custard begins to cool. Refrigerate until chilled.
- In a separate, chilled bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract, and the heavy cream. Beat until you notice stiff peaks in the mixture.
- Now, add the rum and food coloring and fold the mixture into the cooled custard.
- Pour the delicious eggnog into a serving bowl, top with a sprinkle of nutmeg, serve, and enjoy!
We hope you enjoy this delicious homemade eggnog recipe and add it to your holiday recipe book to enjoy year after year! Contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency for all of your California insurance needs.
With the holiday season just around the corner, you must think about how you will remain safe while completing your holiday shopping to-do-list. While you may be inclined to assume that everyone is in the holiday spirit, there are an overwhelming number of criminals that take advantage of joyous people during this time. We want you to remain safe all year long, which is why we have gathered these important safety tips for holiday shopping:
- Make sure to always be aware of your surroundings so that you can report suspicious activity immediately. If you see someone lingering around the parking lot, contact the authorities right away. It is always better to be safe than sorry!
- If possible, try to purchase all of your holiday gifts with the same credit card. This will not only make it easier to track your spending, but it will also make it so that you can respond to fraudulent activity faster and with more ease.
- It is imperative that you never leave any of your valuables in plain sight. This means putting all recent purchases in your trunk and out of sight. A criminal will find it hard to pass up the temptation if you have a load of Nordstrom’s shopping bags in your back seat.
- If possible, do not pass over your credit card to the store clerk. Many of these employees are seasonal hires so they cannot be trusted as easily. Therefore, sliding your own card whenever you can is the best way to keep your personal information secure.
- Where you park is extremely important. If possible, park in the front of the structure in a well-lit area so that criminals cannot hide in dark corners and approach you when you are least expecting it. Also, if you will be leaving the mall or boutique after the sun has already set, make sure to have a security guard walk you out to ensure safety.
Happy Holidays! We hope these important safety tips for holiday shopping allow you to enjoy the holiday season worry-free! Contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency in Murrieta for all of your California insurance needs.