Rising temperatures can be enjoyable if you are lucky enough to spend it in the pool. Chances are, you’ll have to venture away from water at some point this summer. Consider these 10 basic safety tips to beat the summer heat:
- During the hours of 10:00am and 4:00pm, the sun’s rays are strongest. Therefore, if possible, you should stay inside with the air conditioning and avoid direct sunlight.
- Switch your sheets and covers to lightweight, breathable ones to avoid overheating in the middle of the night.
- When you venture outside, be sure to put lightweight, breathable clothing of light hues.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Many of us forget the importance of drinking water every twenty minutes throughout the entire day, especially when we are busy having fun. Bring a reusable water bottle with you everywhere you go so that you can constantly be reminded of the importance of hydrating.
- Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages and carbonated or caffeine filled drinks during extreme temperatures. These ingredients will only dehydrate you.
- Only exercise during the early morning hours or late at night to avoid overheating in the extreme temperatures.
- Avoid using the oven and stove during hot days. Using these appliances will generate heat that will rise and travel throughout your entire home.
- Before taking your dog on a walk, be sure to feel the ground and asphalt beforehand to determine if the hot ground would burn the pads of your pup’s feet.
- Keep blinds and curtains closed throughout the day so that your home doesn’t warm up from the direct sunlight.
- Most importantly, know your body and seek immediate medical attention if you are feeling the symptoms of overheating or heat exhaustion.
Stromsoe Insurance Agency is available for all of your California insurance needs. Contact us today and allow us to provide you with the peace of mind knowing your assets are adequately protected.