As you plan for your vacation there are a variety of measures that must be taken before your big journey. Packing the perfect outfits, planning how you will get to you destination, and where you will sightsee are likely top on your list of priorities. However, have you begun planning how you will protect your home while you are away? Criminal activity skyrockets during the summer months because criminals have become experts at determining which homes have been left vulnerable. Burglary prevention is simple when you plan properly. Consider these 5 helpful tips to ensure that you do not return from your vacation with unpleasant surprises:
- Arrange for a close friend or neighbor to check on your house periodically. You will want this trusted person to check your mail, pick up your daily newspaper, and change the position of your car every few days. Piling up mail and newspapers screams empty home.
- If you will be going on a long vacation, you may want to notify the local police station so that they can parole the area periodically.
- As tempting as it may be, refrain from posting any vacation plans on social media. Those who post their departure and return dates on Facebook or Twitter often return to unpleasant surprises. Criminals know how tempting it is to inform your friends of your 2 week trip to the Bahamas so they look for those signs.
- Set timers on your lights and television so that it appears that someone is home.
- As simple as this may be, make sure all windows and side doors are locked. Criminals prefer houses that are easy to burglarize and require little effort.
Stromsoe Insurance Agency understands the importance of protecting your most valuable investment – your home. Contact us today for all of your California homeowners’ insurance needs. Allow us to provide you with the peace of mind knowing your home is adequately protected.