Living in southern California comes with the possibility of experiencing an earthquake. Keeping these earthquake safety tips in mind can help make sure that you and your family stay safe in the event of an earthquake.
- Make sure you have an evacuation plan for your home and that everybody who lives there knows it. Also make sure that you know the evacuation route of any building that you regularly occupy, such as where you work.
- Keep a flashlight and protective shoes next to everyone’s bed in case of an earthquake at night.
- Bolt any tall furniture, such as bookcases or china cabinets to the walls.
- Do not hang any heavy items, such as pictures or mirrors above couches or beds.
- Install latches or locks on all cabinet doors. Also make sure to store any heavy items in the lowest cabinet possible.
- Know how to shut off gas and water valves in your home and make sure you have the proper tools to do so.
- Have an earthquake preparedness emergency kit handy with emergency supplies. Make sure everybody in your household knows where the kit is located.
- Bolt the water heater and any gas appliances to wall studs to stop them from moving around in an earthquake.
- Brace all overhead lighting fixtures.
- Pick safe places in every room of your house. These should be places that are away from windows or tall furniture like bookcases or cabinets that could possibly fall
- Practice “stop, cover, and hold on” in all the safe places. If there is no sturdy furniture around, brace yourself against an interior wall and cover your head and neck.
To find the perfect earthquake insurance for your home, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency. As an independent insurance agency, they will do the research for you to make sure you get the best policy for all your needs.