With hot, dry weather fast approaching, it is important to keep fire safety in mind. Southern California is prone to wildfires, and knowing how to protect you and your property can help save you thousands of dollars and lots of potential heartache. Following these fire safety tips can help keep your home and family safe in the event of a wildfire.
To prevent wildfires:
- Never leave a campfire unattended. Douse the ashes with water and stir them until they are cold before leaving a campsite going to bed.
- Call 911 if you spot any fire that seems to be out of control.
- Do not throw out cigarettes, matches, or any smoking materials from a vehicle.
If you need to evacuate:
- Evacuate immediately if advised by authorities.
- Know your evacuation route and make sure to have an evacuation checklist and emergency supplies ready.
- Wear protective footwear and clothing to help protect yourself from and flying ashes.
Before you leave:
- Remove any combustible materials from your yard, including firewood, fuel, and grills before leaving.
- Shut off all gas supplies, such as natural gas or propane.
- Slow fires by filling any large vessels with water, such as swimming pools, hot tubs, or garbage cans.
If you are caught in a wildfire:
- Do not try and outrun the blaze. If near any water, such as a pond, crouch down in the water.
- If there is no water around, find a clear area that is void of any vegetation and stay as low as possible. Cover your body with wet clothing or soil.
- Try to avoid breathing in smoke. Breathe the air closest to the ground and breathe through a moist cloth if possible.
When it comes to insuring your home in case of a fire, make sure to contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency to get the best policy for all your needs.
Graduation is an exciting time for both parents and children. No matter where you are graduating from, either high school or college, it is important to remember these safety tips to make sure everyone stays safe on this exciting day.
If your teen is graduating high school:
- Have an itinerary. Make sure you know where your teen is going after graduation and what time. Get any contact information of anybody who will be with your teen.
- No hotel rooms. If your teen wants to celebrate graduation with a party, consider having it at your own home so that your can supervise. If the party is happening at a different location, think about volunteering as a chaperone or get the contact information of any adults that will be there.
- Know who is driving. Whether it is your teen or a friend, make sure they are not drinking and driving and that there are the proper amount of seatbelts.
- No drinking or drugs. Make sure your teen knows the consequences of underage drinking and illegal drug use. Make sure to set your own penalties and share them with your teen if they are caught in these illegal activities.
If your child is graduating college:
- Know who is driving. For those who are old enough to enjoy alcoholic beverages to celebrate graduation, make sure you have a designated driver. If there is not a sober driver, make sure to get a taxi so that everyone can arrive home safely.
- Limit passengers. Limiting the number of distractions of the driver concentrate while driving and will help ensure that everyone has a seatbelt.
Stromsoe Insurance Agency would like to congratulate all graduates for their big accomplishment!
Summer is just around the corner, so it is a good idea to start summer-izing your home just as you winterized it a few months prior! There are a few things you need to start checking off your to do list to get you ready for the best season of the year. If you haven’t already done so, add these important items to your checklist:
- Check your home’s cooling system – As a California resident, we typically turn on the air conditioning at the beginning of summer, or sometimes, the end of spring. You’ll want to make sure your air conditioner is prepared to handle the pressure. You may need to clean up the area surrounding the outdoor condensing unit, especially after the recent wind storms. It is also a good idea to change the filters in your system to make sure everything is working properly and the air is flowing smoothly. To ensure that you are saving all the air you are paying for, check the weather-stripping and caulking around the doors and windows.
- Throw those down comforters, flannel sheets, and wool blankets to the back of your closet and take out the summery, cool sheets! With summer heat fast approaching, it is smart to get lightweight and cool bedding that will keep you comfortable and cozy.
- Washing your windows will let the sunshine in and make your home feel more open and welcoming. Your home will feel as good as new!
- After recent extreme wind, you may need to prepare and clean your patio. Hosing down all outdoor furniture and cleaning with a mild dish soap will have your patio sparkling with summer appeal.
- You may want to take the eco-friendly approach and plant some summer vegetables in your garden this season. Healthy, fresh vegetables will be perfect grilled on the barbeque. Plants that thrive in hot weather such as tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, and basil, are perfect to grow in your garden and most require little maintenance.
The Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team strives to give you the best services and prices. Contact the Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team for all of your insurance inquiries.
In the event of a tragedy, it is important to protect your mortgage with term life insurance. In the horrible event of your sudden passing, the last thing you want is to have your family dealing with financial burdens. Preparing your life insurance policy in advance is the smartest way to allow your family to grieve without financial concern.
Term life insurance is the most affordable way to get life insurance coverage, providing protection for a specific period or “term.” This allows the policy holder to drop or continue the coverage at their convenience.
If you answer no to the question, “Could your family make mortgage payments without you?” then it is a good idea to protect your mortgage with term life insurance. Whether you are planning on purchasing a new home or refinancing your existing mortgage, this is the perfect time for you to protect your mortgage. Term life insurance can be used to pay funeral costs, credit card bills, childcare, college tuition, and your mortgage in the event of a tragedy. With term life insurance, your family can maintain their lifestyle and use the term life insurance coverage as a form of income replacement.
If there is anyone who relies on your income for financial support, then you need life insurance. Not only does life insurance provide financial protection for your family but it pays for your final expenses as well. It is hard to think about what would happen in the case of your sudden passing, but it is important to ask yourself whether or not your family could financially survive if the worst were to happen.
The Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team strives to give you the best services and prices. Contact the Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team to get a quote on life insurance today!
Looking for the perfect way to commemorate our fallen men and women? Many spend the day at the beach or barbecuing at home with friends and family, but many forget why we get this day off of work in the first place. Since 1861, we have celebrated Memorial Day to remember those whose lives have been lost while serving in the United States Armed Forces. You can still enjoy your fresh hotdogs straight from the grill, but consider attending a Memorial Day event in the morning to show your support for past and current troops fighting for our country.
Memorial Day at Old Mission San Luis Rey Cemetery
On Monday, May 26th, The Old Mission San Luis Rey Cemetery will be celebrating Memorial Day at 8AM. The Boy Scouts Pack and Troop #721 will be chartered by Mission San Luis Rey Parish in Oceanside, California that morning. US flags will be placed at the burial sites both on the ground and in wall niches to commemorate our fallen soldiers. Taps and Franciscan Blessings will conclude the ceremony.
Mission Viejo Memorial Day Ceremony
The entire community is invited to celebrate Memorial Day at the Mission Viejo Civic Center Park at 8:30AM on Monday, Memroial Day. The commanding office of the Headquarters Battalion, of the 1st Marine Division, Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Russell will be in attendance. From 2007 until 2009, Col. Russell commanded the 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion. Col. Russell will be accompanied by retired Marine Corps Master Sergeant, Tom Spry. Not only will the American Heroes Tribute banner be displayed, but there will also be a color guard and buglers accompanied by a rifle salute from Veterans of Foreign War (VFW) Post 6024, and concluded with a musical performance.
The Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team wishes you a safe and enjoyable Memorial Day. Contact the Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team for all of your insurance inquiries.
With summer just around the corner, it is time to pull out the grill and give it a good clean to get ready for barbecue season! Barbecuing may be one of your hobbies, but it is still a good idea to update yourself on the safety precautions that should be taken in order to keep your family fun memorable for the right reasons. The last thing you want is for someone to get sick with food poisoning, or even worse, a fire to happen. Keep these barbecue safety tips in mind when planning for your next family barbecue:
- Having a fire extinguisher and knowing how to use it is one of the most important parts of grilling. You should also know how to cut fuel supplies in case of an accident.
- When handling foods, it is important to remember to follow all safety precautions. Having a guest get sick with food poisoning is not going to make the RSVPs for your next BBQ flow in.
- The smoke that is released from the grill contains harmful toxins that can cause cancer and get you sick. It is important to try and avoid those toxins whenever possible.
- When lighting the charcoal on the barbecue, be sure to follow the instructions manual as to avoid a fire.
- Location, location, location! Be sure to have your barbecue out of the walk way and far from children’s play, and away from combustibles such as picnic tables and wooden play sets.
Sample this amazing BBQ Steak after all the preparation of your grill! All you’ll need is a 2 pound tri-tip steak, onions, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, freshly chopped rosemary, Dijon mustard, salt and black pepper. This amazing BBQ recipe will surely have your guests begging for more and looking forward to your next big event!
Contact the Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team for all of your insurance needs. The Stromsie Insurance Total Protection Team works from Murrieta, California but serves 18 states.
With summer just around the corner, it is a good idea to follow up on some sun safety measures to protect your skin from the sun. May is recognized at Skin Cancer Awareness Month nationwide. Skin cancer prevention should be taken into consideration year round, however, with the weather warming up it becomes more relevant in our minds. Skin cancer can affect all ages because it is not an inherited disease, but rather a lifestyle disease. Take these helpful sun safety tips into consideration when enjoying the sun this summer:
- Staying in the shade after 10AM until 4PM is smart because you are avoiding the strongest rays. If your shadow is shorter than you are, chances are you are being exposed to harmful UV radiation.
- As much as humanly possible, try to avoid burning.
- Avoid both natural and artificial tanning. Tanning indoors does pose a much greater risk but tanning for hours in the sun is almost as dangerous.
- Cover up as much as you can. Wearing broad-brimmed hats and UV-blocking sunglasses are crucial to avoiding unwanted burns and strong UV radiation.
- Every single day, even when it’s overcast or chilly, wear a sunscreen with at least an SPF of 15 or higher. For extended periods in the sun, it is a good idea to increase the number of SPF you are wearing.
- Under all circumstances, keep newborns out of the sun. Having a severe sunburn in childhood increases the chances of developing skin cancer, so it is better to start practicing sun safety early on.
- Each month, you should perform a self-examination from head-to-toe. A self-exam each month prepares you for your annual exam with a physician so you can point out any irregular moles or freckles.
Contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency, located in Murrieta, California but serving 18 other states, for all of your insurance needs.
No matter how experienced of a driver you may be, it is always a bad idea to drive when you are feeling drowsy. Drowsy driving can be as dangerous as driving intoxicated. Research shows that being awake for 18 hours is equivalent to having a blood alcohol concentration of 0.08%. Each year, there are nearly 100,000 drowsy driving related accidents.
Many of us find ourselves daydreaming behind the wheel and then realizing you don’t remember driving the last few miles. It is important to be aware of your behavior behind the wheel and watch out for some of the key indicators of drowsy driving. Keep these safe driving tips in mind. For instance, if you find yourself having difficultly focusing with heavy eyelids and frequent blinking, it is probably best if you get off the road. Restlessness and irritability may also mean you are driving drowsy.
To avoid drowsy driving, it is important to be aware of the number of hours you are sleeping and schedule naps and caffeine breaks accordingly. Driving with a friend can also help avoid drowsy driving because you can alternate nap times or keep each other awake. Many people forget the side effects of medications so it is a good idea to make yourself aware of any drowsy effects and plan accordingly.
Although youth, shift workers with long hours, commercial drivers, and business travelers are at a higher risk of drowsy driving, everyone can be affected by drowsy driving. Be extra careful when driving after travels and always be aware of your driving behavior.
Contact the insurance specialists at Stromsoe Insurance Agency for all of your insurance needs.
Summer time brings sunshine and warm weather, but it can also bring new pests into your home. Making sure you have the right pest prevention plan can help save you from lots of headaches the come from the invasion of these pests.
Mosquitoes are one of the most annoying and dangerous summer time pests. They can carry many diseases including West Nile virus. They breed in shallow ponds and water-filled pots. Making sure to keep any standing water away from you house can keep the mosquitoes away.
Raccoons like to dig through your trash to find a tasty meal on hot summer nights. They create disturbances in the neighborhood and can leave large messes in your yard. Investing in heavy-duty trash can with a secure lid, or not putting the trash out the night before trash day can help cut down on raccoon activity.
Squirrels may seem cute from afar, but they can cause lots of damage in your home. They like to make their nests in the attics of houses and the eaves and overhangs of roofs. It is not only a little frightening hearing the scratching of a squirrel in your walls, but they are also known to carry diseases. Checking your attic and roof every so often can help alert you to any possible nests and help you deter them from moving in.
Stromsoe Insurance Agency would like to remind you to protect your house from any possible pests that can invade your house. There are plenty of professionals that can help if you are experiencing any problems. They would also like to remind you to make sure your homeowners insurance is up to date and to contact them for all your insurance needs.