Skin cancer prevention is important every day, but even more so in the summer months. The following tips can help you keep your skin safe from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. This is when the sun’s rays are strongest and can cause the most damage. Any direct contact with sunlight can be harmful, these hours are just the peak times to avoid.
- Wear sunscreen. Sunscreen with a minimum Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 is advised for adequate protection. Sunscreen should be applied at least fifteen minutes before heading outdoors and reapplied every couple of hours or if you have been in the water.
- Cover yourself and as much of your skin as possible. Wear a wide hat and long clothing if you are going to be outdoors in the sun.
- Develop a skin care regimen that includes thoroughly checking for new marks or spots, or changes in existing ones. Consult your doctor if you notice anything new or unusual.
- Avoid tanning yourself intentionally, either by laying in the sun or using a tanning bed.
To find affordable health insurance in the greater Murrieta, California area, contact Stromsoe Insurance Agency today.