Do You Need A Separate Watercraft Policy For Your New Boat?

Before you go out and purchase that new boat you have been dreaming about all winter, consider the importance of also purchasing the proper watercraft coverage that you will need for your new toy.

Many people mistakenly believe that their boat will be covered under either their Personal Auto policy or Homeowners policy. Auto policies do not provide liability coverage or coverage for damage on boats. Homeowners policies might cover only boats that have low value or are low-powered. So before going out and purchasing a boat, contact us to discuss the proper watercraft coverage that you will need.

Here are some considerations when it comes to figuring out if you will need separate watercraft coverage for your boat. These types of boats will require a separate insurance policy:

  • >> Any boat valued at more than $1,500
  • >> A sailboat that is more than 26 feet long
  • >> Powerboats that have motors exceeding 25 horsepower

Insurance companies will often deny coverage for particular types of watercraft unless you arrange for proper coverage before hitting the water. These types of watercraft might be denied coverage:

  • 1. Watercraft such as jet skis or wave runners, due to the high number of accidents with them.
  • 2. Houseboats, homemade or kit boats, competition bass boats, and speedboats.
  • 3. Boats that are more than 15 to 20 years of age, due to a higher loss frequency (Note: It is also wise to order a marine survey or inspection of an older boat before purchasing, which can point out deficiencies in the boat that could cause you to reconsider the purchase or renegotiate the price).

Finally, when it comes to purchasing the proper watercraft coverage needed for your new boat, also consider purchasing a Personal Umbrella policy. This policy would be in addition to a watercraft policy and is especially beneficial if you are going to purchase a speedboat, one designed for skiing or any other type of craft that has a higher potential for loss of life or damage. Umbrella policies are relatively inexpensive and will provide additional coverage above the liability coverage found in a watercraft policy.

If you have any questions about your protection, call the Stromsoe Insurance Agency Total Protection Team for the right answers to your questions.

Here are 4 EASY ways to reach us:

1. Call 877-994-6787 or 951-600-5751
2. Fax 951-677-6265
3. Email –
4. Visit Exclusive New Website –

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *